This article is for functional consultants who wants an R12.1.3 environment available for knowledge development. Some basic DBA and Linux skills will be needed however.
Components needed are:
- 2 computers – one controller and one server
- Oracle VirtualBox (VBOX) on controller
- Oracle Virtual Manager (OVM) on controller
- Oracle Virtual Server (OVS) on server
- Serva DNS on controller
Installing EBS R12.1.3 from a Virtual Machine (VM) template should be easier than the R12.1.1 install mentioned on this site. However after spending around 7 days work getting this up and running my conclusion is that the work needed is about the same as doing a clean R12.1.1 install. This is mainly due to the new technical layer of the OVM which may cause issues and has it’s own challenges. However doing a clean R12.1.3 installation is not really an option as this is not available from Oracle E-Delivery.
The setup is as follows:
These are the steps we need to perform (if link is missing the post is not done yet):
- Install Oracle Virtual Server (OVS) 3.1.1
- Install Oracle Virtual Manager (OVM) 3.1.1
- Configure OVM
- Install Serva DNS server (needed for VM creation)
- Stage R12.1.3 VM Templates
- Enable FTP in Windows
- Import VM Templates
- Create database VM
- Create apps VM
- Managing R12.1.3
- Fixing R12.1.3
In the above I assume you can install VBOX and OEL6.1 and know how to download software from Oracle E-Delivery.
The hardware used is:
- HP DM-4 with 8Gb ram for OVM on OEL6.1 in VBOX on Windows 7. The OEL virtual drive with OVM is less than 20Gb.
- HP Proliant MicroServer with 4Gb ram for OVS with 3 hard disks. For OVS only 2 disks are needed. I would recommend 1 Tb each.